Okay, so today I tried this recipe that is originally called “shakshuka”, but because I sort of adapted the recipe I decided to call it a tomato stew. Basically what you do is you make this great soup like stew with tomatoes and bell pepper, add a bunch of herbs and then you crack some eggs and cook them in the sauce. Trust me: it’s a recipe for success!
I get my inspiration from so many things. I check Instagram and Bloglovin’ multiple times a day: I keep my eyes open when I’m outside and I try to mesmerize restaurants menus for god knows I might want to recreate one of the dishes one day. When I decided what to cook this week, I had this image in my head of a dish with tomatoes and eggs in the pan… I literally googled “tomato stew eggs” and was able to find what I was looking for.
With my head filled with ideas from multiple recipes I decided to create my own version. It’s really simple: you just have to chop up some ingredients and let that simmer for a while, then toss in the eggs (carefully) and wait a little longer.
We ate this dish with bread, but I suppose it could go well with rice or pasta as well. Or a green salad, who knows. It’s quite filling so you might have some sauce left, which you can freeze or store until you’re going to make a pasta dish or something.
This recipe cost only €1,20 per person! That’s cheap.
- Tomatoes, 8-10
- Bell pepper, 1 yellow
- Onion, 1 large
- Eggs, 3 large or 4 small
- Chilli powder
- Salt and pepper
- Start by dicing the tomatoes. Place them in a pot with some oil and let them simmer.
- Dice the onion as well, and place in the pot.
- Cut the bell pepper into slices and then into cubes. Add this to the mixture.
- Let them cook for around 2 minutes, then add around 200ml of water.
- Let this simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Season the mixture with salt, pepper, rosemary and chilli powder. Make it nice and hot!
- Take the pan off the stove.
- Place a spoon in the mixture and break an egg on top of it. Carefully move the spoon underneath the egg, creating a small space for the egg to glide into. Repeat with all eggs. Make sure there is some space in between the eggs.
- Place the lid on the pan and place it back on medium heat. You don't want it to boil!
- Let this slowly simmer for around 10 more minutes. (8 if you like a soft boiled egg)
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, let me know what you think or if you tried it and how that worked out 🙂
Our previous recipe was a really great healthy but tasty pizza recipe, go check it out! Healthy pizza