These delicious lemon poppyseed muffins are the perfect sweet-tooth snacks. They’re zingy and fresh!
I’m all about the sweet stuff. Desserts, cookies, cakes, breakfast: I love anything with sugar baby! Add some lemon and poppyseeds to that and you’ve got, in my opinion, one of the best muffins ever. Don’t you agree? 😉
First of all I’d quickly like to say that the pictures aren’t as great as I wanted them to be 🙁 I know I can do better! I’ve gotta find some of those white cupcake paper thingies.
Here in the Netherlands, poppyseed muffins aren’t that well-known. I don’t even think we can buy any in the supermarket, while we have a huge variety of cookies and cupcakes.
However, I spent some time in Sydney, Australia as well. Here I learned about cadbury chocolate, TimTams, Vegemite (no thank you!), meat pies, kangaroo meat, and sooo many other things… Like poppyseed muffins. I worked in this fancy hotel that had muffins at their breakfast buffet (amongst other things) and sometimes we could have one of the leftover ones.
While most people would opt for the chocolate version, I used to grab the orange/poppyseed muffin. I’m not usually a big fan of fruit in pastries, but they were seriously the best muffins I’ve ever had! There was candied orange in there, and once I learn how to recreate them I sure will share them with you, too.
For now I’m testing the simpler version: lemon and poppyseed muffins. Also truly delicious, nothing beats lemon in a muffin or cupcake! (If you’d like to try some lemon/lime cupcakes with buttercream frosting, find my recipe here)
Also, if you’re into luscious lemon cupcakes, check out this recipe too!
Lemon and poppyseed muffins
- Eggs, 2
- Sugar, 150g
- Self-raising flour, 250g
- Yoghurt, 175 ml
- (Sunflower) oil, 100 ml
- Poppyseeds, 2 spoonfuls
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix together the eggs, sugar and oil in a large bowl or food processor. Add the yoghurt.
- Now, slowly start adding the self-raising flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything mixes correctly.
- Add the poppyseeds, juice and zest of the lemon and a pinch of salt and give it a final stir.
- Place 12 muffin wrappers/papers in a muffin tin or on top of a baking tray.
- Scoop in the cake mixture, until they are all 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Place them in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool, and enjoy!