Everybody loves meatballs. Whether you eat them with spaghetti or as party appetizer, they’re usually a big crowd pleaser. In today’s post I share with you one of my newest discoveries (in fact, I’ve only made it once…) which will soon be one of your favourites. Get ready for Meatballs in Smokey Barbecue tomato sauce!
These meatballs in a nutshell:
- Bite sized
- Easy to prepare days before serving
And all that in a rather easy recipe, that doesn’t require you to pay very close attention to measurements. So I’d say it’s a perfect party appetizer, easy enough for us young beginning cooks to prepare!
I may have mentioned it before, but I live together with the boyfriend in a cute apartment.
(Soon we’ll be joined by a cat, omg can’t wait to tell you all about it!) I’ve been living in this apartment for about a year and a half now, and he joined me last year near Christmas.
Even though it has been quite a while, many of his friends still hadn’t been here and he hadn’t seen them in a while, either. So we decided that was reason enough for a little house warming 😉 I spent literally hours deciding what to prepare, ended up with a list of 20 (!) different food items that would be nice and then decided that was maybe a bit too much… You think?!
Anyways, I ended up with a much smaller list of these delicious meatballs, some sort of pizza (recipe will be online soon too!), breads with spreads and a homemade herb butter and to top that all off: a taco/nacho dip. Which was really delicious as well, but I couldn’t really take any pictures during the party 🙁
That’s also why this post only has an ingredient picture: during the party I simply didn’t have time (and it was dark, and I didn’t want to get laughed at while doing that “foodblogger thing” haha!) to take pictures, and even though I made an extra big batch they ate them all! Quite a compliment if you ask me. But I guess we can all image what they looked like 😉
I’ve decided to cut this recipe in two, so that you can decide to make the meatballs with or without the sauce. Or you can start preparing one of the two and finish the other one the next day etc etc. Let me know what you guys think, and I’ll see you soon!
By the way! If you have any other party recipe I have to know please leave a comment down below… I already have a pinterest list filllllllled with recipes and ideas, but I’m probably missing out on some good ones!
- Minced meat, 750g
- Bacon, 100g
- Eggs, 2 large
- Onion, 1 yellow
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Breadcrumbs, 50g
- Mustard, 4 spoonfuls
- Smoked paprika powder, 1 teaspoon
- Italian herbs, 1 spoonful
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the onion, bacon and garlic very finely, and place them in a bowl. Add the minced meat, eggs, breadcrumbs, mustard, herbs and spices and start mixing.
- Once the mixture is done, you can start preparing the meatballs. Scoop up a spoonful and form small, round balls.
- Place them on an oven tray with baking parchment, and put them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can start preparing the sauce.
- Tomatoes, 5 large
- Onion, 1 red
- Garlic, 1 clove
- Smokey Barbecue Sauce, 100ml
- Salt and pepper
- Cut up all the ingredients, purée the tomatoes if preferred and heat up a pan with some olive oil.
- Place the chopped onion and garlic in the pan on medium heat. Stir for around 4 minutes, and then add the tomatoes or tomato purée. Add salt and pepper and let this bubble for around 15 minutes.
- Add the smokey barbecue sauce and stir.
- Done! Serve with the smokey bbq meatballs.