Pasta has got to be my favourite dish. I mean, pasta can be so many things, right?! It could be a lasagne, it could be macaroni with lovely red sauce and vegetables or it could be this version, for example. This dish contains many vegetables but also that delicious saltiness of fried minced meat. Trust me: you will love this!
This dish originated when the boyfriend and I made pasta with leftovers. We had some broccoli and mushrooms lying around and decided to mix this together with some cream cheese and pesto: yumm! Today I share with you an updated version, without the pesto but with some other touches instead. Only €1,40 per portion!
From this month on I’ll have a few themes running on different days. Mondays is for affordable dishes, Friday is for quick dishes and Sunday is anything that’s not a recipe but is food related. Today is Friday so it’s a quick one!
The good life
Today is such a good day. I’m sitting on my balcony in March, which in the Netherlands means it’s usually below 10 degrees this time of year, but the sun is shining and it’s so incredibly nice out here. I wanted to get some work done for my blog as this weekend I’ll have other things to do so I’ve hidden my laptop behind a pillow to protect it from the sun!
Ahhh, the good life. I love my balcony. I love the city of Breda.
I’ve prepared this dish yesterday so I’m incredibly on track with my blogging, yay! I’ve managed to get a good amount of blogs lined up for upcoming days, which actually makes me enjoy blogging more and more. This way it feels more like a hobby, instead of having to work before a deadline you know?
I really hope this weekend will have such nice weather too as we will be at my parents place. Maybe we can borrow the car and drive to the beach for a walk, or simply sit outside with my parents… What do you plan to do when Spring begins?
Pasta in white sauce with broccoli and mushrooms
This variety of pasta sauce is made with mascarpone cheese: next time I would like to try it with perhaps ricotta or sour cream for a different flavour.
I used 3 spring onions because I had leftovers from the noodle soup I made a few days ago: feel free to replace this with onion instead.
I didn’t cook the broccoli before using it in the sauce because this leaves them nice and crunchy. If you prefer a softer vegetable I suggest first boiling the heads for around 8 minutes.
- Broccoli, 1 piece
- Mushrooms, 150g (I used normal and chestnut)
- Spring onions, 3 pieces
- Minced meat, 200g (I used pork and beef)
- Mascarpone cheese, 125g
- Milk/creamer, 5 spoonfuls
- Italian herbs, 1 spoonful
- Garlic powder, 2 teaspoons
- Meat seasoning, OR
- Salt and pepper
- Pasta of choice, 200g
- Stock cube (vegetables), 1 piece
- Start by cutting the broccoli in smaller stalks. Toss them in a frying pan with some oil and bring to medium heat.
- While frying the broccoli, slice the mushrooms and onions. Add this to the broccoli. Cook this for around 5 minutes.
- Season the minced meat and fry in a separate pan until brown.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta with stock cube according to the instructions on the package.
- Add the meat to the vegetables and spoon in the mascarpone cheese.
- Add the milk to make the sauce a bit more fluid, and stir well.
- Add the herbs and garlic to taste. Add some salt and pepper as well.
- Once the pasta is done, drain the water and release the steam. Place some pasta on a plate, top with the sauce and you're good to go!