Salted caramel popcorn: the all-time favourite movie snack made even better! All you have to do is make a super simple caramel sauce and pop your popcorn.
I love movie snacks. One of my favourites is definitely salty popcorn, which requires you to drink loooaaads of soda to compensate for all the salt. However, I decided to play around a little with one of my all time favourite flavours: salted caramel!
Yes, another Sydney flashback! Here in the Netherlands, salted caramel wasn’t popular until very recently. Don’t ask me why! So when I came to Sydney roughly 2 years ago, I was a bit worried about the Australians. Salty sweet stuff? That can’t be right! Boy oh boy was I wrong. I tasted it once, and it was the best damn thing ever. I’m now officially salted caramel addicted!
And luckily, so are many of my fellow Dutchies. Finally we have salted caramel ice cream and sweets. I’m still waiting for the day we get salted caramel timtams, though. Nothing beats the combination of sweet and salty, and if you add crunchy elements it’s even better!
I just realized that food is mainly the thing that triggers memories for me. Not pictures, not stories… Food! When I think of Sydney I think of good coffees, timtams, crumpets and fresh fruits and veggies 😉Who doesn't love popcorn?! And with the added salted caramel sauce, it's even harder to resist. Click To Tweet
Salted caramel popcorn
If you have patience, watching the sugar and water turn into caramel is fascinating. I, however, do not: all I wanted was that salted caramel popcorn! The smell of caramel is just amazing, making it almost impossible to wait patiently.
Some recipes require you to cover the popcorn in caramel and then bake this in the oven, but this recipe does not. Why wait any longer to stuff your face with popcorn than necessary!
See you soon? Please help my blog grow by sharing this blog on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Thanks for stopping by!
- Sugar, 100g
- Water, 50 ml
- Butter, 50g
- Cream, 50g
- Microwave popcorn, 100g (sweet or salted)
- Sea salt
- Heat up a pan with the sugar and water. Don't stir! This needs to slowly turn into caramel, which takes around 5 minutes.
- Once it's golden brown, add the butter and stir through for two minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the popcorn in the microwave. This takes, depending on brand and microwave, around 3 minutes.
- Add the cream to the sugar mixture. Careful, as this might splatter!
- Put the popcorn in a bowl and top with the caramel sauce. Let cool down slightly, and enjoy!