I’M BACK! There was a bit of radio-silence from my end but now I’m here again with a delicious, crunchy, zingy, vegan (!) and gluten free shredded Thai salad with chilli lime dressing. So good! Perfect for those days where you just can’t be bothered to cook, or when you feel like stuffing yourself with veggies and vitamins. Let’s go!
Temperatures are rising… still
Us Dutchies, we’re used to having a shitty summer. Usually it’ll be over before you know it, and if we have hot days we all run to the beach and dress up in short short short clothes. However, this year is a bit different. We’re already halfway through September and there’s an actual heatwave happening! Today in Breda it was actually 32 degrees and we were all sweating and complaining (haha!).
Of course I enjoyed a bit of sunshine in the park, too 😉 But this evening I just couldn’t be bothered turning on the oven or the stove, creating even higher temperatures inside our cute apartment. So a cold dinner was exactly what I wanted to cook.
The Thai cuisine
I don’t know about you guys, but I get so inspired every time I watch Masterchef Australia! (I know I’m late: we’re a bit behind in the Netherlands so I’ve just downloaded all episodes…) In one of the episodes Mimi prepared a Thai salad, which made me realize I don’t know anything about the Thai cuisine.
So the next time I’m in the library (yes, I’m one of those persons who has a library card) I’ll rent a book on cooking – Thai style. For now however, I just searched the internet to find the perfect salad. I looked at a bunch of recipes and they were all completely different, so I did what I always do: I made my own 😉
Feel free to leave any comments down below, and I hope to see you soon again! Also, please share/pin and help my blow grow 🙂
Shredded Thai Salad
- Lemon juice, 5 spoonfuls
- Sesame oil, 1 spoonful
- Olive oil, 5 spoonfuls
- Fish sauce, 1 teaspoon
- Ginger, fresh (the size of a thumb)
- Garlic, 1/2 clove
- Chilli flakes, 2 teaspoons
- Brown sugar, 1 spoonful
- White cabbage, 1 half
- Spring onion, 5 pieces
- Carrot, 2 large
- Cucumber, 1 half
- Red bell pepper, 1 large
- Mint leaves, 1 handful
- Peanuts, 2 handfuls (optional: roasted)
- Mince the garlic and ginger real fine.
- Add all other ingredients and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- I used a food processor for all ingredients except the bell pepper, peanuts and mint leaves, but using a knife would work as well.
- Shred the cabbage and carrots into fine slices. Place in a large bowl.
- Cut the cucumber in half and remove the seeds. Cut into slices of about 1 cm thick.
- Chop up the mint leaves and peanuts, and slice the bell pepper and spring onions finely.
- Combine everything in a bowl and top with the dressing. Enjoy!
- Would be great with some noodles or a fried egg as well.