Fridays are for leftovers. I always buy a lot of vegetables, which sometimes means half my fridge is filled with pieces of cucumber/carrot/eggplant/zucchini and half full bags of lettuce or spinach… Luckily I know many ways to use these!
You can for example make a great omelet by simply adding some eggs and spices, or include all those vegetables in a really delicious pasta sauce. Today however, I will show you how to make a simple dinner casserole. And of course I’m still busy with the budget proof challenge, so this dish costs only €1,95 a person!
Easy dinner casserole
First of all, this was literally what I had in my fridge so feel free to check your kitchen stock first. This casserole would taste great with so many vegetable leftovers: from broccoli to cauliflower, zucchini, tomato or carrot… Endless possibilities!
I had half a leek leftover from my delicious vegetable soup, spinach from the healthy pizza I made and bell pepper was in the eggs poached in tomato stew. Also, we still had sour cream and grated cheese from our nachos. Throw it all together and you have a meal again!
We were in kind of a hurry on Friday because we would celebrate the boyfriends’ birthday the next day and still had to do a lot of grocery shopping. This casserole is perfect for a night like that: after a little preparation you just pop it in the oven and you have 25 minutes to do some cleaning or whatever. You also only need a chopping board, pan and oven tray so not much to clean either.
Total costs of this dish: €3,90.
- Potatoes, 6 large - sliced and ready to eat (boiled for +/- 25 min)
- Minced meat, 300g (I used beef)
- Onion, 1 piece
- Bell pepper, 1 red
- Leek, 1 half
- Spinach, 4 handfuls
- Garlic, 1 clove
- Sour cream, 100g
- Grated cheese, a handful
- Salt and pepper
- Chilli powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Start by chopping up the onion and garlic and toss this in a pan together with the minced meat.
- Cut the bell pepper in pieces and slice the leek in rings (make sure you wash it thoroughly!). Roughly chop up the spinach as well.
- Once the meat has browned, add the bell pepper, leek and spinach to the pan. Cook all this for around 5 minutes. Add the cream and reheat the mixture.
- Add salt, pepper and chilli powder to taste.
- Sprinkle some olive oil in the oven casserole and spread it around.
- Place a layer of potato slices on the bottom of the casserole. You should use half of the potato.
- Spoon in the vegetable mix, making sure it is spread evenly.
- Cover with another layer of potato slices and some grated cheese on top.
- Put this in the oven for 25 minutes, and serve!
- - broccoli or cauliflower
- - carrots
- - zucchini or eggplant
- - beans
- - cabbage
- - mushrooms