This is a quick post to share with you my version of a tomato sauce. I use this sauce for so many different dishes: from pastas to pizzas, meatballs in tomato sauce, puff pastries, egg variates or to eat with rice or potatoes. The main reason why I share this with you is so I can link this recipe in other posts: this way you won’t have to read this recipe every time I use it!
It’s super simple, really tasty and you can just make a big batch and freeze or refrigerate it for future use. And what I love most about it is that you know what’s in there, and it’s only ingredients that are good for you! I try to limit the amount of packages and for example pasta sauces from the supermarket because they use loads of salt, sugar and who knows what else.
Super simple tomato sauce
The recipe below is enough for one portion, or one person depending on the dish.
I did not add any salt, which you might want to do if you are eating it plain. However, I didn’t add any because I never know what I’ll use it for: I might add bacon or meatballs or something else that will make it way too salty. That’s why I always add salt right before serving.
If I use this sauce for pasta I love adding more vegetables such as bell pepper or zucchini and some minced meat. Yummm!
- Tomatoes, 3 large
- Onion, 1 medium
- Garlic, 1 clove
- Italian herbs (basil, parsley, chives and oregano: freeze-dried)
- Preheat a sauté pan (casserole) with some olive oil. You'll want it on medium heat.
- Dice the onion and start cooking this in the pan. Stir occasionally.
- Chop the tomatoes in cubes and finely chop the garlic clove. Add this to the pan and close the lid.
- Let this simmer for around 10 minutes, until the tomatoes and onion are softened.
- Add the Italian herbs (1 teaspoon and pepper (1/2 teaspoon).
- Refrigerate until use.
- I do not include salt in this recipe because I make larger batches for various cooking purposes. I store those in the fridge (for 2-3 days) or freezer until I need to make a tomato sauce.
Now tell me, what do you love to cook with tomato sauce?