These healthy zucchini “boats” are filled with beans, corn, red onion and herbs to resemble a gluten free and vegan taco dish. Both delicious and very filling!
Every once I cook a dish with only vegetables and beans. This can be a challenge, as it’s not always as filling as my regular meals: we’re so used to eating either meat or potatoes/rice/pasta! However, this dish meets the requirements of a regular meal. We were soooo full!
If you have been following this blog a bit longer, you know that I don’t really commit to any special diet. I like cooking vegetarian, vegan or gluten free, but I also like knowing that the next day I can cook something completely different without having to pay attention to my ingredients. However, I do like learning from those diets and then incorporating them in my regular diet.
For example: we used to eat meat almost every day. Over the years I’ve learned and learned, and now we eat vegetarian half of the time. Also, I cut back on eating bread and pasta because I feel that my stomach doesn’t like it as much as I do. It’s all about finding that balance, right?
But I do truly admire people who become 100% vegetarian or even vegan. It takes a lot of commitment!
Zucchini with taco filling
Okay okay okay, now onto our recipe for today! t
hat rimes Zucchini with taco filling, it’s as good as it is simple! We used a can of “chilli beans”, which comes in a tomato sauce, but you can use any type of beans as long as you add some sort of sauce to it. Also, feel free to add some extra chilli to your zucchinis if that’s what you like!
- Zucchini, 2 large
- Beans in tomato sauce, 400g
- Corn, 140g
- Red onion, 1 large
- Chilli flakes, 1 teaspoon
- Parsley, 1 teaspoon
- Garlic, 1 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Cut the zucchini in half (lengthwise) and scoop out the inside. Keep half, and toss the other half.
- Brush the zucchini halves with olive oil and place them in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the onion in small pieces. Mix the zucchini insides with the onion, corn, beans and herbs.
- Scoop the mixture into the zucchini halves. Place back into the oven for another 15 minutes, and serve!
- Would be great with some cheese as well.